Sunday, April 24, 2016

Spar Jigs and Tapering Spar Caps

Today I created the two jigs that are used to ensure that the spars are 5.5" tall.  Pretty straight forward.



This shows how they are used to align the spar parts for drilling and riveting.


I also started marking the taper in the spar caps.  I made 1 cut.  I used a jigsaw and actually had a lot of luck with a reciprocating saw.  I will have to sand/rout the edges smooth, but the cuts are still faster than the 4130 cuts.



The taper is hard to see, but the spar cap goes from 1.5" to 1" over a 20" span.  Rumor has it, this removed about 3 lbs of unnecessary weight.



Today I used the Harbor Freight Digital Caliper to make my jig. It might have been overkill, but was happy to try it out.  Not bad for $18.


No comments:

Post a Comment