Friday, April 22, 2016

Rough Cut Wing Ribs and Bulkheads

UPDATE:  I've since decided to buy the bulkhead kit from Greg Westberry.  Yes, the work in this post was a waste, but making all of the wood forming blocks was going to take a lot of time.  

Last night I used my air shears for the first time.  They're the greatest thing since the Olfa cutter (which was yesterday)!  I traced all of the .040 pieces onto the metal (mostly fuselage bulkheads) and rough cut them with the air shears.  Smooth like butter!

I also cut out .020 ribs and one leading edge.  My goal was to breakdown the 4x12 sheets of aluminum into a pile of something more manageable in a one car garage so I can have room to build my spar.

Here are some pictures...

Cutting bulkheads



Stack of rough rib blanks.  I'm going to use a router and a wood form to make the final shapes 4 at a time.



Rough cut leading edge of one wing


Time to go to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment