Wednesday, April 27, 2016

1 Tapered Spar...3 to go...

Yesterday and today, I spent a total of 2.5 hours in the garage.  I cut another side of one of the spar caps last night and sanded and smoothed both cuts.   That leaves 3 to go.  So I guess another 7 hours or so.  I think it will go faster since I was learning on this one.

I bought a new bandsaw blade and decided to try that.  I actually think I like the reciprocating saw the best for this.  Just have to be careful not to cut too close.  I think I'll save the bandsaw for crosscutting the extruded angles.

Here are some pics of the rough cut with the bandsaw, and the final product filed and sanded smooth.

Rough Cut




Filed and Sanded
Lined it up with the workbench so you can see the taper.


In my opinion, the trick here is to remember that you can always remove more material, but you can't add it back later.


No comments:

Post a Comment