Saturday, June 18, 2016

Left Spar Caps Cut

Today I finished tapering the left spars and made the cuts at the root of the spar to allow for the dihedral and steel wing brackets.  I used the right spar caps and webs as a template.  I also used the holes in the right spar caps to mark the holes for the left spar caps.  This really sped things up compared to the right wing spar.

Tapered left caps



Making the cuts for the 4130 steel brackets at the root of the caps.  Jigsaw worked great with a metal blade.  You can also see the marks I made to transfer the hole pattern.



The left caps temporarily set on the left spar web.  Everything lined up nicely.


First glimpse the full wingspan.  There is another 4 or 5 ft added once the wing tips are attached.  The table is 14ft long to help add some perspective.


Next step is to drill all of the holes for the left spar.  At 64 total hours, I'm not as far as other builders with the same hours.  I think the pre-made bulkhead and tail kit I ordered will help get me in the air faster when I get to those.  I'm learning as I go, so I'm okay taking a little longer too.


No comments:

Post a Comment