Saturday, June 4, 2016

First Wing Rib and Form Block

I've been busy lately with more traveling coming up, but I managed to create the forming blocks for the nose rib and made my first wing rib with it.  I still need to make the left spar, but wanted at least one rib made to make sure I have the sizes right.  Setting the rib by the spar, everything lined up as it should.  Pretty cool!


I started by gluing a copy (see how I made copies here) of the wing rib plan and made a 20 second rough cut with the jigsaw.


Then I used the bandsaw to cut really close (but outside of) the lines on the plan.



Then I used my sander to fine-tune the shape to match the plans.



Next, I drilled the tooling holes that are used to align the two blocks and the rib for forming (the size of the hole was based on some screws I had laying around).  I didn't get a picture of the hole cutting process, but I used the process defined by Dave in the build manual.  I used a fly cutter and cut halfway from both sides that left a taped plug for flanging the lightening holes.  I also used my sanding to get the blocks the same size.  I don't think you need them to be the same size (can just sandwich the rib blank on the opposite side from the side you want the flange on), but I did it anyway.



Rib sandwiched and ready for forming.  I also rounded the edges before forming the metal so I did not stress the metal on the edges of the blocks.  I did that with a sander.



Here is my first rib.  Since this picture, I went back and cleaned up the bends a bit.  Dave's process for flanging the lightening hole in the center  worked pretty well.  I think I'll keep using that process on the rest.



17 more to go, then the front center ribs, then the back center ribs, then the rear ribs, the wing tips ribs....One step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment