Monday, July 25, 2016

Rear Wing Rib Blanks

Work and and social obligations (read as: "hangovers") kept me from building this weekend. An interview with Charlie Becker (EAA) reminded me that even 10-15 minutes here and there helps to see the project through. I did about 30 minutes today drilling and cutting my rear rib blanks. Its good to be another couple steps closer with 4 rib blanks.  If I do that everyday, I think it will make a big difference on the project.

Below I drilled the inside corners so there are not any sharp corners when I make the cuts.



Then I used the Andy Shears to cut all four blanks by hand.  It's pretty quick.  Also, the rib blanks do not have to be exactly the same (that should be the goal, of course).  It is the form block that ultimately makes the shape the same for each rib.  If you're flanges are half a millimeter different because of your cuts, that really won't be an issue.  So don't feel pressured to use the router setup if you want to save a little money.  For me, I just like to be able to hear the radio instead of a router.

No comments:

Post a Comment