Sunday, March 4, 2018

Fuselage Taking Shape

Holidays and work projects really slowed down my posts, but I made some good progress on the front of the fuselage.  Another Saturday, and I should be ready to start building the rear fuselage.

I received the bulkheads from Greg Westberry a while back, but I kept them in the box until now.  I'm really glad I bought these because each shape would have required two custom cut blocks to form them (The pieces that look like "O"s are made up of 4 pieces each).  So it saved me from creating and hammering on 46 custom blocks.  Unfortunately, Greg has stopped making these.  Hopefully, someone else with a shop will jump in and take over.




Mounted the firewall supports (will have to drill these out because the rivets are facing the wrong way.  Not a bid deal, but I want them the other way).



Breathed some new life into an old computer and added it to the shop.  It's a big help for looking up parts and other's pictures, but Youtube keeps sucking me in!



Lower Longeron Work (There's a great document on the Yahoo group Files called "Lower Stringer" that helps with bending these).


The brackets to attach the lower longerons to the spar.


Getting somewhere


Making airplane noises


Bending and cutting the upper longeron.  The bandsaw was a big help here.  Watch that your circle doesn't cut into the longeron since this part will be visible when you open the canopy.  I ruined one by cutting 1/2" in.  If you look at the plans, it says "no more than".


After lots of grunting and swearing the rough cuts and bends look good temporarily set in place.


Finishing them
Before


After (I need to cut this down and bend inward on the trailing edge, but I will do that once I see the aft fuselage setup).


All squared up with temporary supports holding up F6 (Seat back).  It feels pretty solid.  You can also see the 1/4" bar stock supporting the inside of the lower longeron.  Second picture shows more.



Closer shot with the vertical 3/4 angle in place and F3 bulkhead temporarily clamped in place.


Most everything is clamped together for fitting before I drill and bolt everything in place.  More to come, but I'm tired now!





No comments:

Post a Comment