Sunday, March 20, 2016

Setting Up Shop

Well, it's official.  I am the proud owner of plans number 568!  Time to set up shop!

First thing was to clear out the garage and start building the workbench.  I'll be building in our one car garage for now, so organization is going to be key.

I'll get more detailed later, but here is where we are right now.  My bench is 14 feet long.  16ft didn't leave much room on the ends of the table and it's more than the minimum recommendation of 12ft, so it seemed like a good compromise.

I also used 1-1/2" bolts on the bottom of the legs to allow me to level the table.  That method is described here, and worked really well:  http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=4283417659001











...and the official FAA-recommended test.  Yep, it officially holds a big dog.  Done!



Update 4/6/16:  The table is solid (especially when the two are attached), but I would recommend using 2x6 instead of 2x4 around the upper frame that the legs attach to.  I think that would really make it rock solid.  No issues, but I wonder what will happen when/if I separate the two tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment